Goonalan's D&D 5th Edition Campaigns
Ken Lee, Wizard (7)
High Elf Male Wizard (Folk Hero) Level 7
Ken Lee is an elf, looks just like an elf should look like. Would be handsome if not for a scar across his face which he received as a baby. Raised on a farm, but inherently drawn to magic.
Part 1: The Basics
1.What is your full name? Your nickname? Do you have any other aliases?
Ken Lee, name given by framers who adopted me. Real name unknown. In the village where I grew up better known as “The Elf”.
2.Where and when (the campaign date) were you born?
Unknown. Probably around 1380.
3.Who are/were your parents? (their names, occupations, personalities, etc.)
Dad – unknown
Dad – Jedediah Lee a simple farmer, mostly sheep, died of old age
Mum – Isabel Lee a housewife, helped out on the farm, died in child birth in 1402.
4.Do you have any siblings? What are/were they like?
I have a human stepbrother but he took over the farm, is very old now.
5.Where did you live previously, and with whom? Describe the place and the person/people.
With mum in slum dwelling- although mum kept the place nice and clean; then after she died in flophouses mainly.
6.What was your previous occupation?
Stevedore, dockworker, warehouseman, any physical labour.
7.Write a full physical description of yourself. You might want to consider factors such as: height, weight, race, hair and eye colour, style of dress, and any tattoos, scars, or distinguishing marks.
6’ 2”, 226 lbs, a hefty slice of life with a bit of a paunch and muscles like grapefruit. Scar over right eye- hawser snapped, nearly lost the eye. Missing little finger on right hand, and top of right thumb- same accident with hawser. Bad tattoos on both arms and chest. Shaved head, blue eyes. Dress in scruffy work gear, sweat stained and sometimes stinking.
8.To which social class do you belong?
9.Do you have any allergies, diseases or other physical weaknesses?
Very slight limp right leg, hawser accident.
10. Are you right- or left-handed?
Right, but box southpaw.
11. What does your voice sound like?
Gruff, loud- sometimes a bit sweary.
12. What words and/or phrases do you use very frequently?
Mostly swear words- ‘fuck that for a game of soldiers’, is an often repeated phrase, or else ‘I swear down’, or even, ‘I swear dead down’, or when I really mean it, ‘I swear proper dead down.’
13. What do you always have in your pockets?
Clasp knife, an apple, a bit of string, a few coppers and silvers.
14. Do you have any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
Eat very quickly, and noisily. Always look out for slightly older ladies (the age my mum was when she passed), try to act polite and nice when around them. I sometimes get in fights with people that don’t respect nice ladies.
Part 2: Growing Up
15. How would you describe your childhood in general?
Good, but no money and mum worked hard, not at home that often.
16. What is your earliest memory?
My twin Dicky and me standing in an open space, maybe a park- or even some place outside of the city.
17. How much schooling have you had?
Enough to know my letters and do a bit of adding.
18. Where did you learn most of your skills and other abilities?
On the docks, in work, in bars and on the streets. Got into a few fights when I was a kid, mainly because I was a big lad. Learned to fight properly in taverns (boxing matches, fighting pits etc.).
19. While growing up, did you have any role models? If so, describe them.
Mum- she always did the right thing, worked hard and stood up for her kids.
20. While growing up, how did you get along with the other members of your family?
Looked after Sal, my sister; got on okay with Dicky (twin), we got split up when mum died.
21. As a child, were you popular? Who were your friends, and what were they like?
I was useful to have around, because of my size; some good friends but no-one I kept in contact with.
Part 3: Past Influences
22. What do you consider the most important event of your life so far?
Mum’s death- it changed everything, I went off the rails for a while.
23. Who has had the most influence on you?
Mum, but also Larry Dove, owner of The Pig & Whistle public house, and my first boxing coach, he was a bit of a father figure.
24. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
KO’d Staunch Al’ (Half-Orc), the then Neverwinter Harbourmaster’s champion- held the title for nearly six months. Killed two thieves breaking into the flophouse I was staying in maybe three months back- they got what they deserved- people started looking at me different after that, they even started to like me more, I became a bit of a local hero.
25. What is your greatest regret?
Not seeing my Mum grow old.
26. What is the most evil thing you have ever done?
See above- killing the thieves, I suppose.
27. Do you have a criminal record of any kind?
Brawling in the street and Criminal Damage, fined 10 gold.
28. When was the time you were the most frightened?
When some tentacled monstrosity rose up in the harbour and crushed and sank ‘The Merry Belle’, while portside- all hands on board were lost; still sends the shivers down my spine when I remember it, it’s tentacles were so big… terrifying.
29. If you could change one thing from your past, what would it be, and why?
Mum would still be around. And more money.
Part 4: Beliefs And Opinions
30. Are you basically optimistic or pessimistic?
Optimist, but with dark moments of pessimism.
31. What is your greatest fear?
The creature from the deep, and similar huge beasts.
32. What are your religious views?
The usual- Tempus in the ring, Tymora for luck, Lathandar when I wake, and all the others for the holidays.
33. What are your political views?
The poor shouldn’t be so poor, the rich shouldn’t be so rich.
34. How do you feel about killing? Under what circumstances do you find killing to be acceptable or unacceptable?
Thieves and murderers deserve to die. So do monsters and bad humanoids that threaten Neverwinter or the land and people.
35. In your opinion, what is the most evil thing any human being could do?
Kill an innocent.
36. What do you believe makes a successful life?
A good life- a bit of money, and to be happy and content. To do good.
37. Do you have any biases or prejudices?
I hate thieves and murderers, and other people and organisations which cause the innocent to suffer.
38. Who or what, if anything, would you die for (or otherwise go to extremes for)?
Tough one. I don’t want to die for anything. I’d put my life on the line for the things I believe in, or else for the things I want- maybe even a little more money so I can afford a better way of life.
Part 5: Relationships With Others
39. In general, how do you treat others (politely, rudely, by keeping them at a distance, etc.)? Does your treatment of them change depending on how well you know them, and if so, how?
Mostly polite, I don’t let anyone in too close. I make friends easily but tend not to keep them because I change jobs, or else living quarters.
40. Who is the most important person in your life, and why?
Probably me- not in an arrogant way, then my family. I don’t have many people in my life.
41. Do you have a spouse or significant other? If so, describe this person.
42. Have you ever been in love? If so, describe what happened.
Probably not yet.
43. How close are you to your family?
See above, get on well with Sal, talk to Dicky every now and then- although we don’t often agree on anything.
44. Have you started your own family? If so, describe them. If not, do you want to? Why or why not?
Nope. Not had the opportunity or the inclination.
45. Who would you turn to if you were in desperate need of help?
Don’t know- which worries me a bit. Maybe Larry Dove (see above), if he remembers me.
46. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why?
Only me. Why- because I see myself as being an ‘army of one’, I try to be prepared for everything or anything- it doesn’t always work out that way. I think I’m tougher then I actually am.
47. If you died or went missing, who would miss you?
Good question, my sister Sal, maybe my brother and a few others.
48. Who, or what, is the person or thing you despise the most, and why?
Not sure, I hate thieves and murderers- see above for others, and reasons.
49. Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict?
I try to get on with people. I have learned how to stop myself from ‘blowing up’, although sometimes I lash out- particularly at ‘bad people’.
50. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?
Not often, I generally have something to say- particularly if I disagree with something, but I’m not a leader of men.
51. Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?
I like the sound of the crowd, although only when they’re on my side. I don’t mind chatting but I’m no good at the big speeches.
52. Do you care what others think of you?
More than I think sometimes, other times not at all.
Part 6: Likes And Dislikes
53. What is/are your favourite hobbies and pastimes?
I like fishing but I’m no good at it. I like fighting but only when there’s money or fame at stake.
54. What is your most treasured possession?
A charcoal drawing of me and my mum, my dad drew it.
55. What is your favourite colour?
I like red.
56. What is your favourite food?
Anything in a pie.
57. What, if anything, do you like to read?
I’ve read a few adventure books, but mostly when I was younger.
58. What is your idea of good entertainment (consider music, art, etc.)?
A good taphouse- a drink, a doxy, and some dirty songs. I don’t go out much though- money’s tight.
59. Do you smoke, drink, or use drugs? If so, why? Do you want to quit?
I drink a bit, not to excess. I smoke every now and then. I don’t want to quit either.
60. What makes you laugh?
Dunno. Funny stuff- Gnomes are funny.
61. What, if anything, shocks or offends you?
People behaving badly to each other, particularly the rich with poor folk.
62. How do you deal with stress?
Drink, think- fight.
63. Are you spontaneous, or do you always need to have a plan?
I can follow a plan but I tend not to make them.
64. What are your pet peeves?
Dunno. I don’t like rude folk, I guess.
Part 7: Self Images And Etc.
65. Describe the routine of a normal day for you. How do you feel when this routine is disrupted?
Get up 5 AM, work by 6 AM for six hours, get a break- grab something to eat, back to work by 1 PM, work until 7 PM or finish. Wash up, go out to eat and drink, or else eat at home and then sleep.
I don’t mind any interruptions.
66. What is your greatest strength as a person?
I care about stuff. I’m also very resilient, tough.
67. What is your greatest weakness?
I can sometimes lose it, or else get a bit maudlin.
68. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Not really thought about it, I’d like to have more money, but there’s nothing much I’d physically change about me.
69. Are you generally introverted or extroverted?
I sometimes swing from one to the other, mostly introverted though.
70. Are you generally organized or messy?
Organised, but I’ve not got a lot of stuff so it’s easy.
71. Name three things you consider yourself to be very good at, and three things you consider yourself to be very bad at.
Good- fighting, working, can’t think of third.
72. Do you like yourself?
Of course, stupid question.
73. What are your reasons for being an adventurer (or doing the strange and heroic things that RPG characters do)? Are your real reasons for doing this different than the ones you tell people in public? (If so, detail both sets of reasons…)
To make money and have a better life. My real reasons are probably that I am fed up with the way things are for me, and for people like me, I want to change the world- or else make it fairer. I don’t really know how to do this though, I therefore want to change things for me.
74. What goal do you most want to accomplish in your lifetime?
75. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Probably still adventuring, hopefully a lot better off and living in better circumstances.
76. If you could choose, how would you want to die?
Of old age, surrounded by kids, grand kids- probably.
77. If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, name three things you would do in the time you had left.
Kill a few cruel rich people. Rob a bank or two and give away the money in the slums… can’t think of a third, maybe say goodbye to Sal and visit where we used to live, back when mum was alive.
78. What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death?
Don’t care. When you’re gone- you’re gone.
79. What three words best describe your personality?
Dependable, tough and maybe, kind.
80. What three words would others probably use to describe you?
Tough, violent (maybe), quiet.