Goonalan's D&D 5th Edition Campaigns
Zalt, Warlock (7)
Half-Elf Male Warlock (Sailor) Level 7
Thin and wiry body.
limp and messy hair.
An intense stare that either disarms or un-nerves those it falls on (20 Charisma)
Wears studded leather armour and multiple packs and pouches. Carries a couple of simple daggers and a wooden club that is looking more warped and gnarled each day.
Zalt is followed by a faint smell of sea-salt.
Part 1: The Basics
1.What is your full name? Your nickname? Do you have any other aliases?
Usually known by ‘Zalt’ which is simple yet distinct enough to skip the need for a nickname.
2.Where and when (the campaign date) were you born?
A small port town in Amn, 1465
We’re using the FR calendar and the present year is 1483.
3.Who are/were your parents? (their names, occupations, personalities, etc.)
Human Father. A traveling merchant who left early in Zalt’s life.
Eleven mother. A minor herbalist, seamstress, midwife (assorted working-class but skilled trades, she was more learned than many of the women in this part of town).
4.Do you have any siblings? What are/were they like?
No siblings that Zalt knows of.
5.Where did you live previously, and with whom? Describe the place and the person/people.
A small house/apartment with his mother. Small and very simple, possibly mediterranean-styled, but his mother owned it.
Worked a variety of simple children’s jobs including message-runner, fish gutting/cleaning, rat-catcher (with sling and crossbow)
6.What was your previous occupation?
General sailor. Before that, odd jobs.
7.Write a full physical description of yourself. You might want to consider factors such as: height, weight, race, hair and eye colour, style of dress, and any tattoos, scars, or distinguishing marks.
5’8" or 172cm
130lbs or 60kg
Half-Elf (from Amn)
Black hair which looks damp all the time
8.To which social class do you belong?
From working class, now outside the class system as an adventurer
9.Do you have any allergies, diseases or other physical weaknesses?
Prior to his pact, he was slightly above average in strength (str 12), after his pact he finds himself strangely weak but not in any particular area (str 8). He remembers his old strength and sometimes tries to use it.
10. Are you right- or left-handed?
Was right-handed before the pact, now left-handed. Hasn’t noticed the change.
11. What does your voice sound like?
Bland, but Zalt can adapt his voice to match the needs of the situation.
12. What words and/or phrases do you use very frequently?
Nothing in particular. Zalt adapts his mannerisms to the situation.
13. What do you always have in your pockets?
Clasp knife, the glass orb, silver coins.
After taking the Tome pact, he keeps the book of shadows with him at all times.
14. Do you have any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
Sometimes gets stuck looking at the moon, or reflections in water or reflections of the moon in water. Sometimes talks to the moon as if it has some connection to his pact.
Part 2: Growing Up
15. How would you describe your childhood in general?
Ordinary, or a little distanced from other children as he wasn’t human and his mother was not fully accepted.
16. What is your earliest memory?
A heavy thunderstorm at the coast, very frightening.
17. How much schooling have you had?
Entirely home taught/on-the-job. Mother was quiet learned so Zalt was as well.
18. Where did you learn most of your skills and other abilities?
General skills and sailor-skills were learned working and playing about town.
19. While growing up, did you have any role models? If so, describe them.
Mother, intelligent and distinguised (in Zalt’s eyes).
TBC an elven sailor, very althetic and acrobatic.
20. While growing up, how did you get along with the other members of your family?
It ws just Zalt and his mother. They got on great.
21. As a child, were you popular? Who were your friends, and what were they like?
Reasonably popular, although somepeople were a little uneasy around him as was a half-elf.
Part 3: Past Influences
22. What do you consider the most important event of your life so far?
Going out to sea and getting becalmed, hearing the voices and making his pact. This has literally seperated Zalt’s life into two parts: before the pact and after it. Zalt’s life is no longer fully his own.
23. Who has had the most influence on you?
Mother, each captain he has served under (only been 1-2 of the) and his unknowable master.
24. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Not sure if it counts as an ‘achivement’, but when Zalt took on the pact he saved the life of everyone on that ship. He hasn’t told anyone and worries about how people would react if they found out.
25. What is your greatest regret?
Zalt still doesn’t know if he did the right thing with taking the pact. It’s saved lives and given him power, but at what cost? He has given an un-knowable alien entity a foothold in the world and an agent to act with…
26. What is the most evil thing you have ever done?
27. Do you have a criminal record of any kind?
No. If Zalt wasn’t as sneaky or able to see in the dark then he might have one though.
28. When was the time you were the most frightened?
Being becalmed, being so isolated and having the whole crew standing under the risk of death; then looking at the captain, usually strong and willful and seeing the fear and desperation in their eyes.
The voices at night are a close second.
29. If you could change one thing from your past, what would it be, and why?
Zalt’s first thought is about that trip and the pact… but he couldn’t change it. The Zalt who lives now is the one who took the pact and is defined by it.
Part 4: Beliefs And Opinions
30. Are you basically optimistic or pessimistic?
Realist (which is to say slightly pessimistic) with a fondness for dark humor and a determination to go out and change things to make them better.
31. What is your greatest fear?
That the cost of the pact is too high. That his mother will learn of this and declare him to be evil. That the pact is stripped from him and he dies as he no longer as the power to defend himself.
32. What are your religious views?
The gods exist, but they are not the big glowing humanoids that they are depicted as. After the pact, Zalt’s parton has far more power over Zalt than any god.
Umberlee (the bitch queen) could have saved the ship, could have stopped what happened, but didn’t; even though the ship’s captain had paid the Priestess and made a sacrifice when the ship sailed. Thus, he has a stronger disapproval for Umberlee than the other gods.
33. What are your political views?
The poor shouldn’t be so poor, the rich shouldn’t be so rich.
What you work for and earn yourself is what is important. People should keep more of what they earn, giving less to tax, managers and bandits, but also people should not be able to transfer too much wealth to their children etc.
34. How do you feel about killing? Under what circumstances do you find killing to be acceptable or unacceptable?
Society needs very strong rules about not killing, with it being an option only in the most extream of circumstances (like defending yourself from pirates). But by becoming an adventurer, Zalt is outside of society and free of it’s protections and rules.
There will be a time where he can make things better by killing those in his way, a concept that would ruin society but is an available option for Zalt.
But is this idea his own or planted by his patron?
35. In your opinion, what is the most evil thing any human being could do?
Indiscrimate killing, like poisoning a well.
Killing a person just to hurt another.
36. What do you believe makes a successful life?
Zalt really doesn’t know. The pact means his life is not his own.
37. Do you have any biases or prejudices?
Not really. People are individuals… but generally don’t matter.
38. Who or what, if anything, would you die for (or otherwise go to extremes for)?
Either his patron, or to defend others from his patron.
Part 5: Relationships With Others
39. In general, how do you treat others (politely, rudely, by keeping them at a distance, etc.)? Does your treatment of them change depending on how well you know them, and if so, how?
40. Who is the most important person in your life, and why?
Zalt’s patron, then Zalt, then his mother.
41. Do you have a spouse or significant other? If so, describe this person.
42. Have you ever been in love? If so, describe what happened.
No, and the pact has closed off that concept.
43. How close are you to your family?
Zalt left his mother and home to go to sea and earn an honest wage. He doesn’t know if he will ever go back. He doesn’t know if he can ever go back.
44. Have you started your own family? If so, describe them. If not, do you want to? Why or why not?
45. Who would you turn to if you were in desperate need of help?
Before the pact, you can always trust your captain, no matter how bad things seems.
After the pact… maybe things are worse than you can ever imagine. Zalt has his patron now, and that is all.
46. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why?
Zalt’s patron has protected and empowered him… but for what reason? Zalt owes his life to his patron but has can not trust it.
47. If you died or went missing, who would miss you?
His mother, in time.
48. Who, or what, is the person or thing you despise the most, and why?
Hard to pin down.
49. Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict?
I don’t argue with people, I’ll state the facts and my opinions and then take relevant action. What they think and what they do is up to them.
50. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?
See 49. As a good action now is better than a great action after hours of debate and consultation, sometimes Zalt will push people to act. You can call that leadership if you want.
51. Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?
Of course not! Nothing gets done in crowds
52. Do you care what others think of you?
Not any more.
Part 6: Likes And Dislikes
53. What is/are your favourite hobbies and pastimes?
Nothing springs to mind. Zalt is willing to try almost anything once.
54. What is your most treasured possession?
The book of shadows, for Zalt knows that one day he will find the truth in there.
55. What is your favourite colour?
In the dreams that connect Zalt to his patron, he has seen colours that can not exist in our reality.
56. What is your favourite food?
Strong-tasting foods for the experiance of it.
57. What, if anything, do you like to read?
Histories, accounts of far-off places and monster manuals, although Zalt is uneasy about these as they are so often exaggerated or out-right fake.
Texts on magical theory and the planes.
58. What is your idea of good entertainment (consider music, art, etc.)?
Enjoy your work, that’s the entertainment you need.
59. Do you smoke, drink, or use drugs? If so, why? Do you want to quit?
Alcohol makes things clearer and obscured at the same time. It’s also needed to keep your water safe to drink. Don’t drink too much though, that won’t benefit you.
60. What makes you laugh?
Zalt has a dark humor and the world does not disappoint.
61. What, if anything, shocks or offends you?
People treating life as if it lacks importance. It can be good or bad, but either way it’s important.
62. How do you deal with stress?
Got a problem? Then solve it. If you can’t solve it then use some type of quick fix to get around it. That includes running away.
63. Are you spontaneous, or do you always need to have a plan?
You have always got to have a plan, but sometimes that plan can come together in a second.
64. What are your pet peeves?
Don’t have any. If something is a real problem, then solve it. If it’s not a real problem then don’t are about it.
Part 7: Self Images And Etc.
65. Describe the routine of a normal day for you. How do you feel when this routine is disrupted?
There is no such thing as a ‘normal day’. Adapt to your enviroment and what you need to do.
66. What is your greatest strength as a person?
Keen mind (I hope), quick to action. Creative with the resources I have available.
67. What is your greatest weakness?
My power comes from elsewhere, it an be taken from me at any time. Likewise, I’m not sure how much of myself remains and what hs been influnenced by my patron.
68. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Zalt would like to have his physical strength back.
69. Are you generally introverted or extroverted?
Usually introverted. He dislikes the attention that is drawn to him.
70. Are you generally organized or messy?
Being organised makes thing easier in the long run.
71. Name three things you consider yourself to be very good at, and three things you consider yourself to be very bad at.
Good- Focused magical powers (Eldritch Blast!), creative use of magic and equipment, explaining things to people so that they see it from a better angle.
Bad- I’m no longer strong, I can’t help others with most of my magic, I’m poor at outright lying/threatening to people/I don’t like it.
72. Do you like yourself?
<sullen> I like what I’m doing, but I have so much fear of what I will do.
73. What are your reasons for being an adventurer (or doing the strange and heroic things that RPG characters do)? Are your real reasons for doing this different than the ones you tell people in public? (If so, detail both sets of reasons…)
“help me”, I made a choice then to accept the pact and to do what was needed. The pact, my patron, the voices… they all tell me to travel and see and do. Caravan guard seemed like a good start for that, and it’s taken me on a strange but valuable path. I’m sure my patron knew about this.
74. What goal do you most want to accomplish in your lifetime?
Learn the truth. Who/what is my patron. What do they want and is this for good or for ill?
If it is good, then I must support it.
If it is ill, then I must stop it, no matter what that takes.
75. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Buried in an unmarked grave, or sitting on a golden throne. Possibly both.
76. If you could choose, how would you want to die?
For a good cause, although a don’t exactly know what that is.
Both hands blazing with magic.
77. If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, name three things you would do in the time you had left.
Treat this town/city as a problem and solve it, whatever it takes.
Explain clearly what I have done and why I have done it.
Give away my remaining golden coins, no use to me anymore.
78. What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death?
“let there be no monument raised in my name, exept that I did in life”.
79. What three words best describe your personality?
Pragmatic, Quiet, active.
80. What three words would others probably use to describe you?
Creepy, Warlock. Maybe Lucky?